Friday, March 16, 2018

Week 9 Story: Brothers Karamazov and Pandava Brothers

Once recalling how Fyodor would capture Patrick and make him his slave, Dmitri finally got to fight one-on-one with his father. Fyodor slapped his thigh in mockery of Patrick's beauty. 

"He is just a tease. I can easily buy him with my 3000 crabby patties, Patrick is nothing but a fat whore for food." said Fyodor as he proceeded to laugh and slapped his thigh.

"I will make you eat your words you sensual old man. I will kill you and beat that very thigh you slapped!" replied Dmitri

After a few months, Patrick has run off and neither Dmitri nor Fyodor seem to know where he is. Smeardykov, the sickly old servant runs and shares news with Dmitri. 

"I just learned from your brother, Ivan that all is permitted. Fyodor has shared with me a secret knock that only Patrick knows. If you knock twice slowly, and three times quickly, that is a sure sign that he is here." 

"Why do you tell me this, Smeardykov?" questioned Dmitri.

"I have no agenda. All I know is if all is permitted then secrets are permitted to be told."

"Thank you Smeardykov. Now get out of my face you scoundrel!" yelled Dmitri as Smeardykov limped away.

Dmitri runs up to his father's house and does the secret knock. Fyodor rushes out to great Patrick, only to find that Patrick is not there. As he runs around looking, for him, Smeardykov shows up and trips him with a brass pestle. As Fyodor falls to the ground, in horror, Smeardykov proceeds to pounce Fyodor in thigh. 

"ALL IS PERMITTED. ALL IS PERMITTED." yelled Smeardykov as he beat Fyodor's thigh to a pulp. 

“What are you DOING?” cried Dmitri as he sees his father’s blood streaming on the snow.

“All is permitted.” replied Smeardykov as breaks out into a non-stop seizure and dies.

Dmitri takes the crabby patties and runs to find Patrick.

Related image
source here is an image of patrick being a Crabby Patty whore

Authors Notes:

This week we finished reading Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I really like how in the book, Smeardykov ends up beating Fydor to a pulp and thought that it would tie in really well with the Mahabharata. I took the scene where Duradhana slaps his thigh in contempt as the Pandavas were being exiled, and Bhima promised to come back and beat the very thigh that he slapped. Since I found Fyodor to be an equally sensual and unlikable character as Duradhana, I had him get beat on the thigh to death just as Smeardykov beat him.
The theme that "all is permitted" is something that Ivan, one of the Karamazov brothers, shared with Smeardykov. Smeardykov is a sickly and illegitimate child of Fyodor and I used Ivan ideas to transition his justification for killing.
Lastly, I replaced Grushenka with Patrick and turned the 3000 roubles that Fyodor had to crabby patties. I thought this would apply a great shock affect to the readers.

5 comments:

  1. Albert, what a unique story! I chose to read a different story for Week 9, so it was a little bit hard for me to follow. However, your author's note cleared up some confusion for me! I like that it was so heavy in dialogue. My favorite stories often include a lot of dialogue because it makes the reader feel like they are living inside the story! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albert, seeing the mashup between Dostoevsky and the Indian Epics was really interesting, especially because the Russian authors are some of my favorites, and seeing them cross over with not only this course but Spongebob was something I never imagined seeing. I admit to having to read this story twice, because it takes the author's note to fully understand all that is going on, but the story definitely is strong on its second read through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet your Albert!
    I just got done reading your week 9 story, "Brothers Karamazov and Pandava Brothers". I have to say this was by far my favorite story I have read in this class thus far. The reason for this is the meme lord that you have to be to come up with this stuff. I like to imagine you actually create your own memes instead of repostting them onto reddit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again Albert!
    I really liked this story. It was such an interesting combination of Russian literature, Indian epics, and Patrick Star memery. I wouldn't think those three would work together, but somehow they just do! It's very interesting how you mixed the thigh aspects of both stories into one cohesive tale. Such a strange connection that brings these two stories together (along with Patrick of course). I definitely want to read up on some of your other work now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again! What a unique story you have written. The author's note gave good knowledge and background information for readers to grasp the story. Even though the story is not that long, you still came up with a creative and interesting story that is descriptive. It is cool to actually read and see Patrick Startrick becoming connected to Indian Epics stories, which surprising works and is very compelling. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Week 13 Reading Part B

I read Dharma's version of The Mahabharata  where  Dṛṣṭadyumna chastises the Pandava brothers. Arjuna is really sad that so many people ...