Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Week 2 Story: Patrick's spin - The Dionysian Hero Faust in Goblin City

As Albert types on his computer, I am currently somewhere in Florida milling away in Scottie's room. The adaption of this story will be taken from Goethe's Faust Part 1 character - Faust in a story that puts this hero in the Goblin City of the Jatakas.

When Faust awoke from his slumber, his good friend Mephistopholes awoke him to come explore what true pain and pleasure is. Agreeing to this and being already disenchanted with life, Faust signs his name in blood with Mephistopholes in exchange for this experience. Faust is awoken with a new sense of power beyond measure. With his newly acquired powers, Faust created a city of She-Goblins known as Patrickville where he would lure young sailors to their demise. The village has the same appeal as Sirens did on the Greek Odysseus that sailors would inevitable jump off and swim to their doom in order to experience such pleasure. Faust built a city of lies - dressing the She-Goblins up as 21st famous century actresses - Meryl Streep, Emma Stone, Nicole Kidman - and surrounding the city with the lie of industrious livings. Once the young lads were finally on the island, the disguised goblins seduced the men into marrying them for life.
After marriage, the sailors had a jolly time with their new wives and did not think much of it. Nights went by of pure bliss until Faust – once again growing disenchanted with his condition and experiences chose to turn the disguised goblins into man-eating monsters. As the goblins awoke to their fate, they congregated together as one big unit and ransacked different houses and continued to eat each other’s new husbands. Luckily, the grand master of the sailors awoke before his wife could eat him and kicked her in the face. As she was lying there on the ground, crying, the sailor frolicked away into the woods and awaited his next plan. He soon saw other sailors running away into the woods as well. Soon almost all of the sailors agreed that they needed to get off the village.. but how?
Luckily, at this moment in time, Patrick Startrick, the superhero in this story, shows up on the back of his friend’s elephant. Prashant, the owner of the elephant, advised the sailors to get away from the island as it is cursed by the angry warlock Faust. The sailors got away thanks to Patrick while the other sailors, who did not get the memo, were eaten alive.

The moral of the story is to not be too excited about marrying famous people because they could be man-eating goblins controlled by a bored warlock named Faust.
 
Image
This image was created and texted to my phone by my friend, whom I have known since I was four years old, Scottie. 

Author's notes: 

The original story is about a group of sailors who got stuck on the island of Ceylon and were forced to marry these disguised goblins that ate them. At night the Goblins ate some of the sailors while the captain of the sailors awoke and ran away getting part of his crew to fly away on a horse while the rest of them were eaten.

I changed the story a little bit because I had a conversation with one of my friend's who drove me home last night because my car had a flat tire and I did not have a way to get home (long story what happened was that I had a flat tire before the school day but I was in a hurry to get breakfast with my southwestern mentor and she ended up picking me up from my house while I left my car there. She ended up taking me to campus as well and so I did not have a ride home, so my friend Emily took me home.) about what a Dionysian Hero was and I did not know how to explain it. I knew that Goethe's Faust was a Dionysian hero because Dr. Anderson said so in class and figured I could just explain what that type of hero is through Faust.

My adaption of the story portrays Faust as somebody who disregarded all considerations - those of morals, ethics, pleasures, and pains, in order to experience what he feels like he is missing out on. I also replaced the fairy in the story with Patrick riding on the back of an elephant with his friend 'Prashant' because I wanted to show off some cool pictures that my friend created.

Bibliography: The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India by W. H. D. Rouse. Goblin City

3 comments:

  1. I like your literal take on the moral - watch out for those goblins! I'm also interested to see what a big, burly sailor would look like after kicking his wife in the face and frolicking away. It seems like you changed the story in an interesting way - the women were turned to goblins in your version, and I don't recall that being the case in the version I read. I like the twist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye, those are words to live by. Anyways this story was entertaining in a ridiculous sort of way, haha. The comparison between the goblins and the sirens in the Odyssey was a good way to convey what they were like. The ending seemed fittingly whimsical for someone like patrick (besides the other guys getting eaten after missing the ride on the elephant)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story was definitely exciting to read and kept me glued the entire time, also enjoyed the creativity and humor behind the story as well. Thank you for sharing! I feel like you took the extra step to really evolve this into something the general public would enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete

Week 13 Reading Part B

I read Dharma's version of The Mahabharata  where  Dṛṣṭadyumna chastises the Pandava brothers. Arjuna is really sad that so many people ...