Thursday, February 8, 2018

Reading Notes: Ramayana Part B

The ending of the book portrayed Rama defeating Ravana and freeing Sita! Sughreeva was crowned king of his land and Sita cleansed herself in the fire. What I found most amusing was Rama's piety. He knew that having been away from his wife for so long, that it would be unjust for them to go back into regular marriage again so he freed his wife. Sita chose to burn herself in the fire and she came out free.

The language of redemption in the story is quite entertaining. Redemption seems to be a primary theme of death as everyone that died was somehow redeemed - from Dali to Ravana, everyone was redeemed through Rama. The idea perpetuates thoughts in my head about my own qualities. Being a wooden figure, I revere to my creator everyday.

Lastly, one of my favorite things about Rama is the fact that he is still inherently human and still face the temptations that humans face. When Sita burned herself it pained me to think about how Rama must have felt.

Agni pariksha of sita
image taken from youthekiawaaz


Bibliography:
Narayan, R. K., and Kampar. The Ramayana: a Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic (Suggested by the Tamil Version of Kamban). Penguin Books, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 Reading Part B

I read Dharma's version of The Mahabharata  where  Dṛṣṭadyumna chastises the Pandava brothers. Arjuna is really sad that so many people ...