Friday, March 30, 2018

Week 10 Story Planning

For my next story, I am thinking about doing a twist of Richard Wagner's Tristan and Isolde story with plots from the Mahabharata. I want to compare Tristan and Isolde's unfulfilled longing with something from the Mahabharata... I am not sure what that is... yet! I plan to take the story of how Arjuna shot bhisma down with so many arrows that he ended up lying on a bed of arrows that prevented him from touching the floor and use that in Wagner's version of the ending of his opera where Tristan takes off his bandages and approaches Isolde. I think there could be something really powerfully there about the death of Tristan and the death of Isolde on top of Tristan while Marke comes and weeps over the tragedy that happened. I might end up twisting the scene a little bit and have Tristan lying in Isolde's arms as he is dying, but do to sheer will power, he chooses to stay alive. As he is dying, Isolde and Tristan exchange some last words before King Marke shows up. I could incorporate some dialogue along the same tone of the Mahabharata. Also, I might end up putting Richard Wager in hell instead of Tristan and Isolde. I'm not sure yet!

Image result for tristan and isolde
source Tristan and Isolde's death

Bibliography:

R.K. Narayan - the Mahabharata
Richard Wagner - Tristan and Isolde

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 Reading Part B

I read Dharma's version of The Mahabharata  where  Dṛṣṭadyumna chastises the Pandava brothers. Arjuna is really sad that so many people ...