Friday, April 6, 2018

Week 11: Story Tristan and Isolde Story

After disguising himself as TANTRIS, Tristan seeks the aid of Isolde in order to cure his wound. As he was passing out into her arms, Tristan has a dream of falling in love and marrying Isolde.

Tristan awakens to find himself in a dark room. Isolde is very angry. She just found out that Tristan murdered Morholt and she is very mad. While all  bound in chains, Tristan starts to feel his throat parch. Isolde, confronts Tristan with a vial of liquid DEATH.

"Why am I bound here?" asked Tristan.
"You deceived me!" replied Isolde.
"I'm sorry, but if you had known the truth, then you would not have cured me."
"Better to let you die a just warrior than a lying scoundrel."
"What can I do to make it up to you?"
"You will answer all my questions!!" barked Isolde.

"Why did you do it? Why did you have to murder Morholt?"
"I did what I had to do to defend my king."

After a few more questions, Tristan realizes that he is extremely thirsty.

"I have lost so much blood, I must have a drink!"
"I am not done asking my questions!"
"Please! I feel I will dehydrate and pass out again if I do not have any water! What's in that vial? let me drink!"
"In this vial holds your fate and your death! Drink it if you dare, or answer my questions and I might spare you."

Tristan goes a few more rounds of the trivia.

"Isolde please! I'm so thirsty!"
"No!"

After a few thousand questions, Isolde finds out that Tristan is not so bad after all and he had to do what he had to do in order to defend his king. Tristan also confesses his secret love for her and that he went in disguise only to see her.

"I forgive you." replied Isolde.
"Finally."

Completely forgetting that the vial is poisonous, Tristan quenches his thirst and immediately dies.

Isolde is unfazed by what just happened and goes about her day merrily. 

Related image
source Tristan's death and Isolde over his body

Bibliography:

Richard Wagner's Tristan and Isolde
R.K. Narayan's The Mahabharata

Author's Notes:
Tristan and Isolde is a 19th century opera based off the legend of Tristan and Isolde, a story about a warrior who slays Morholt and is poisoned, and Isolde is the only one who can save him. In the actual opera and story, Tristan and Isolde fall in love. He disguises himself as TANTRIS and seeks the aid of Isolde, unbeknownst to her that Tristan was the one who murdered Morholt. She eventually finds out and they still fall in love. In Wagner's version, the poison vial is replaced with a love potion and they fall in love.

In my rendition of it, the poisoned vial remains poison and Tristan dies and Isolde does not care.

I took the plot from the Mahabharata where Yudihistera is must confront and answer questions from the spirit at the lake before he could take a drink. In the story, Yudihistera succeeds and the spirit rewards him by bringing back to life the 4 dead Pandava brothers.

I decided to do a twist on the story and have Tristan (taking the space of Yudihistera) answer all the questions, and then instead of receiving grace, by his own forgetfulness, he drank the vial and died. I think it's pretty funny and I hope you like it too


4 comments:

  1. Hi Albert,
    At first I was like what story is this from?! I love that you used your own source of story and also added in and Indian Epic. I think you did a great job at retelling the story. You made it very dramatic. I thought it was intense and funny. Good luck with the rest of your stories. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey again Albert. I really like this story and how you were able to change it up so much and put your own spin on it. It was very dramatic and had me hanging on the edge of my chair here. I hope that this class has been fun for you and that the rest of the semester treats you well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Albert, I think it was super creative to take Triston and Isolde and use them to tell a story from the Mahabharata. It works really well and I found your writing humorous and entertaining. I thought it was also an interesting storytelling choice to have Tristan die at the end instead of the standard fairy tale "happily ever after." Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Albert!

    Great job with the story! I really enjoyed it all. I would suggest adding some detail to the beginning though because it is a kind of confusing jumping into it all. I liked the dialogue throughout though. It helped really pull the whole story together. The image used was well thought out as well! I can not wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

Week 13 Reading Part B

I read Dharma's version of The Mahabharata  where  Dṛṣṭadyumna chastises the Pandava brothers. Arjuna is really sad that so many people ...